HOMESTEAD HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC BOOSTER BLAST!
July 26, 2011
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL NOTICE OF THE ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING TO BE HELD ON AUGUST 9th AT 8:00pm AT HOMSTEAD HIGH SCHOOL, 21370 HOMESTEAD ROAD, CUPERTINO CA 95014, IN THE CHOIR ROOM.
- ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING FOR HHSMB IS SET FOR AUGUST 9TH
- ADDITIONAL PRACTICE ON AUGUST 3RD FROM 5:00PM TO 9:00PM
- FOOD, MANPOWER AND FANS STILL NEEDED FOR BAND CAMP
- ALL BAND STUDENTS NEED TO MAKE APPT FOR UNIFORM FITTINGS
- TICKETS FOR DCI CHAMPIONSHIPS AT THE MOVIES NOW ON SALE
- BORDERS GIFT CARDS ARE 20% OFF
- 25% OFF ALL MACYS’ MERCHANDISE ON 8/27 WITH $5 CARD
- WATER BOTTLE ORDERS DUE AUGUST 1ST
- BAND ROOM AVAILABILITY
- SUMMER SCHEDULE
THIS WEEK’S DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Wednesday, 7/27 – 5pm to 9pm – Practice for all marchers and guard
- Saturday, 7/30 – 9am to 6pm – Practice for percussion only
- Monday, 8/1 – Non-perishable items can be delivered to the Allen residence
- Monday, 8/1 – Water bottle orders due
OFFICIAL NOTICE OF THE ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING FOR HOMESTEAD HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC BOOSTERS
To all members of Homestead High School Music Boosters, Inc., this is official notice of the annual member meeting to be held August 9th at 8:00pm at Homestead High School , 21370 Homestead Road, Cupertino CA 95014 , in the choir room. Business of the meeting will be brief and will include the election of directors for the 2011-2012 fiscal year, a financial report and a brief greeting from Mr. Burn. The meeting will conclude by 8:30pm allowing members time to pick up marchers from rehearsal.
We look forward to seeing you at 8:00pm in the choir room on August 9th.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact JoAnn Fitzpatrick, HHSMB Secretary, email@example.com.
CORRECTION TO PRACTICE CALENDAR!
There will be a full marching band practice on Wednesday August 3rd from 5-9 pm. Please check the calendar at the end of this blast.
BAND CAMP WISH LIST... Please sign up!
We need lots of help and lots of food!!!!
To sign up to donate food items and/or to help, please go to the Volunteer Spot link to select what you will provide. Enter your e-mail address to access the calendar.
1. We need snack goodies for 230 hard-working and famished kids. The Athenian School is contracted to provide regular hot meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Parents provide the rest of the refreshments– this includes all snacks at every break. We are asking for donations of brownies, cookies, homemade breads (banana, pumpkin…), salty crackers (Cheez-Its, Goldfish, Ritz… no pretzels please!), and LOTS of fruit. Help us serve those with food allergies… NO NUTS PLEASE!
Food collection begins coming Monday, 8/1 for non-perishable items.
Wednesday, 8/3 for perishables (breads and fruits).
Drop off at Christina Allen's at 1151 Andover Drive, Sunnyvale.
2. We need your TIME. Band camp runs on people power. It is one job that no computer or robot can ever take. Jobs include:
• Bus chaperones are needed to ride the busses from Homestead to band camp on Friday; as well as from the Athenian school to City Beach in Fremont , and then back to Homestead Sunday evening. Busses will leave HHS at 1 p.m. Friday, Aug 5th. On Sunday, Aug 7th, we are scheduled to leave the Athenian school at 3:30 p.m. to arrive back at Homestead around 8 p.m. after some down-time at City Beach. If you can only ride the bus one way, we can find you a ride back to Homestead Friday afternoon. We should be able to find you a ride from Homestead to the Athenian on Sunday if you can only chaperone on the return trip.
• Overnight chaperones... adults who love that camping experience, in a big gym with 200 exhausted kids. We need you to take up space down the middle of the gym floor. Parents make great fences!
• Many hands to help load the truck on Friday, August 5th, beginning at 11 am.
• Drivers (2 to 3) to transport students to help instructors and drum major prepare the field at the Athenian before Mr. Burn and the marching band arrive at 2 pm. The time commitment is from 11 am until 2 or3 pm.
• Day Laborers for all three days of camp. To help prep and serve snacks each day, prep and serve breakfast and lunch on Sunday; plus many other tasks. Don’t worry about your students objecting to your presence… they’ll be too busy to notice you’re there!
Please let us know if you are planning to drive over to the Athenian School during our stay there. It helps us to know, because we might need something delivered to us (like a volunteer without a ride, or that missing batch of brownies).
3. We need FANS… large, powerful, cooling, FANS. Lend us yours or donate one! The Athenian gym is very large, and very stuffy without fans. The bigger, the better. We set them up in all the doorways to create cross breezes.
It takes cooperation from all Booster members to make Band Camp possible for our students. We can't do it without you. You are always welcome to join us at the Athenian School . Come over and see what's happening (we'll just put you to work!). Please contact Christina Allen at 408-738-3634 email firstname.lastname@example.org; Sandy Bright at 408-245-3002 email@example.com; Karen Isabelle at 847-208-9337 email firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicki Feltman at email email@example.com if you would like to volunteer your time or goods, or have questions. Thanks in advance for your support!
REMINDER TO MARCHING BAND STUDENTS – SIGN UP FOR YOUR UNIFORM FITTING APPOINTMENT (DOES NOT APPLY TO COLORGUARD)
Uniform fittings occur on the following days from 1:30 pm until 4:30 pm:
Wed July 27 and Tues August 9 (sophomores)
Wed August 10, Thurs August 11, and Friday August 12 (freshmen)
Mon August 15 for anyone who had not been fitted
You can sign up for any appointment slot assigned to your grade. If you are unable to make your grade's date, you can sign up for a later date. If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, the uniform parents reserve the right to have you reschedule. No drop-ins will be allowed unless there is a free appointment slot.
We have enough uniforms for everyone, but there is less of a size selection the later your appointment is scheduled.
Students may sign up at:
DCI AT THE MOVIES – TICKETS ON SALE NOW
A Message from Mr. Burn…. See the 2011 Drum Corp International Championships LIVE on the big screen at the AMC Cupertino 16 Thursday August 11th!!
This is a special live simulcast of the DCI Quarterfinals Competition shown “Big, Loud, & Live” right here in Cupertino! The top 15 drum and bugle corps in the nation, including the Santa Clara Vanguard, the Concord Blue Devils, and the Cavaliers from Rosemont, Illinois will perform! This is the perfect way to get psyched up for our upcoming marching season, which is why marching practice that evening has been cancelled!
If you don’t know what drum corp is, you should really go – this event is truly the “Olympics” of the marching band! The show begins Thursday, August 11th, at 3:30 pm, and is 5 hours, 15 minutes long. The top corps go on towards the end, but it may sell out, so even if you are going to show up late, BUY YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE. Tickets are on sale now!! The ticket price is $18.
I’ll see you there!!! Mr. Burn
NEWS FROM THE SCRIP TEAM
BORDERS LIQUIDATION SALE -- 20% OFF Border's Scrip!!
Buy Borders $10 gift certificates (scrip) at 20% off, AND use 3% of the purchase price toward your band expenses. Hurry, though, as Borders stores close in the next two months! You can also use scrip at Borders.com. You pay only $8 for a $10 gift card!
Offer valid while supplies last.
Look for the SCRIP TEAM on Wednesday nights at the end of practice! Come into the courtyard behind the band room -- we'll be in the HALLWAY during the last 30 minutes of practice (8:30-9:00 p.m.)
In a rush? Contact a scrip team member directly:
Carrie Adelman - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Haight - email@example.com
Cora Ustaris - firstname.lastname@example.org
MACY'S SHOP FOR A CAUSE
Mark your calendars and save the date: August 27th
Purchase your Macy's ticket for $5 and receive 25% off regular, sale & clearance merchandise. You'll also be eligible to win a $500 gift card. No purchase necessary.
The Shop for a Cause ticket can be used in any state and you don't need to use your Macy's credit card to receive the 25% discount. Buy a few for friends and family who live in other areas.
Whatever we sell is pure profit!
Macy's "Shop For A Cause" tickets can be purchased for $5 each from any Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Fundraising Committee member or Scrip Sales Persons:
Fundraising Committee Members:
DeeDee Wong, Connie Viveros, Jackie Browning, Pamela Aratani,
Donna Ho, Laura DiPol & Audrey Ishizaki-Brown
Carrie Adelman, Jenny Haight, Nicole Sidovar & Cora Ustaris
Vicki Feltman will also have them available for purchase.
Contact DeeDee Wong at email@example.com for more information.
WATER BOTTLE 2011 ORDERS DUE AUGUST 1ST – FROM OUR STUDENT FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
Still need a large, durable water bottle for your marcher, or even for the family? Buy a 34 oz., stainless steel water bottle today! Perfect for band camp and practices. All profit will support our marching band. Buy one today for the super low price of $8! If purchased after August 1st, the price goes up to $12!!! With the extra four dollars, you can buy your marcher new gloves. :) Please turn in your pre-order forms and money to Ms. Feltman's mailbox located in Mr. Burn’s office. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or Vicki Feltman at Vicki.email@example.com♫ if you have any questions.
BAND ROOM AVAILABILITY
The band room will be open from 1:00pm – 6:00pm on the following days:
Mon – Thu July 25–28
Mon – Thu Aug 1–4
Below is a list of important dates for the summer months. The dates and times listed below were accurate at the time of printing, but things can change! Please be sure to read your e-mail to keep up with any last minute changes.
July Marching Band Practice
Summer Weekly Marching Band Practices
5-9 pm all marchers&guard
Summer Saturday #3
9am-6pm (percussion only)
August Marching Band Practice
Percussion Camp (Perc only)
Percussion Camp (Perc only)
Full Marching Band & Guard practice.
Percussion Camp (Perc only)
Beat the Heat Week 1
No Rehearsal; DCI @ Movies
Beat the Heat Week 2