About John Burn
John Burn is the Music Department Chair at Homestead High School in Cupertino, California, where he has taught since 1991. He teaches Wind Ensemble, Chamber Orchestra, String Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, Music Genesis (a computer-based Music Appreciation course), and co-directs Homestead’s Marching Band.
Homestead ensembles under John’s direction consistently earn high ratings at regional and international festivals including performances in the Musikverein in Vienna, Austria, the Sydney Opera House in Australia, Carnegie Hall in New York City, and Disney Hall in Los Angeles. The Homestead Orchestra performed at the 2014 California All-State Music Education Conference and the 250-member Homestead Marching Band performed in the 2011 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade!
John is active as a guest conductor for honor groups and summer music camps having conducted: the Alameda County Junior High Honor Band, the CMEA Bay Section Conference Honor Band, both Concert and Jazz Bands at Cazadero Performing Arts Camp, and the Concert Band at Summer in the City Summer Music Camp at San Jose State University. John is also active as an adjudicator for band, orchestra and jazz festivals in California and Nevada.
John is humbled and honored to have received several significant commendations including:
- 2015 CBDA (California Band Directors Association) Distinguished Service Award
- 2014 School Band & Orchestra Magazine’s choice to represent California in their annual article, “50 Directors that make a difference”
- 2012 CMEA (The California Association for Music Education) President’s Award
- 2011 FUHSD District Teacher of the Year
- 2010 CMEA “Don Schmeer/Byron Hoytt” California Band Director of the Year
- 2009-2010 Homestead High School Teacher of the Year
- 2009 Inductee to the John Philip Sousa Foundation’s Bandworld Legion of Honor
John is a Past-president of the California Band Directors Association (CBDA), Past-president of the Bay Section of CMEA, Past-president of the Santa Clara County Band Directors Association, and Past-president of the Santa Cruz Jazz Festival Board of Directors.
John holds a B.A. in Music Education from UCLA as well as a Master’s Degree in Music Education from the University of Illinois. John graduated from Homestead High School and lives in San Jose, with his patient and supportive wife, Allison, and their beautiful daughter, Alexa.
No news posted